Welcome to the 2017 HYDRO DYNAMICS Season! On this page you can access instructions and information related to Pre-Qualifier and Qualifier Event Registration. Please refer to the bottom of this page for Registration Policies and Frequently Asked Questions.
Registration will open for events on:
- Pre-Qualifier Events: Monday, October 2, 2017 at 8:00 AM EST
- Qualifier Events: *NEW TIME* Monday, October 23, 2017 at 8:00 AM EST
For support regarding registration, please contact JT Yoerger via email to JT@CentralFloridaRobotics.org.
REGISTERING FOR EVENTS
POLICIES & FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why Tournaments: An official FIRST® LEGO® League Event is the opportunity for teams to celebrate their accomplishments throughout the season. Through participation, teams will have a fun and energetic experience while getting feedback on their achievement of the FIRST LEGO League objectives.
About Pre-Qualifier Events: Pre-Qualifier events are an opportunity for teams to get practice attending tournaments before they attend a Qualifier event. These events are particularly important for new teams and teams who would like to get a preview of how they will do at a qualifying tournament.
About Qualifier Events: Qualifier events are Tournaments where teams can qualify to advance to higher levels of competition. In the Central Florida region, teams advance from qualifiers to the Central Florida Regional Championship if they meet certain criteria. From the Regional Championship, 2 teams will advance to the FIRST LEGO League World Festival in Houston, Texas. Other teams will advance to special Open-World Invitational events or the Florida Invitational that will be held in May. Read more about FIRST LEGO League Events here.
Policies related to Event Registration and Tournament Assignments:
- Once an assignment has been made for any event, it is final and will not be changed.
- We do not maintain a “waitlist” for any events. Teams who do not make it into their preferred event(s) will be offered another event that they can choose to register for.
- Teams can indicate preference for up to 3 events but are limited to attending 1 Pre-Qualifier and 1 Qualifier Event. This limitation does not apply to supplemental seasonal events, including the Coach Conference, Kickoff Events, Team Advancement Practice Events (TAPE), or any other special event.
- We do not “over-fill” events. Team capacity is set by a contractual agreement between Central Florida Robotics and the event hosts based on team concentrations and venue safety constraints.
- We do not give preference to rookie or veteran teams when making event assignment decisions. All assignments are made in accordance with the specific policies noted below.
- In the event of technical difficulties encountered with registration, Central Florida Robotics will notify teams via a team blast to explain the issues and place registration on hold. A new registration date and time will be communicated via a team blast and teams will be given at least 3 days’ notice, including at least 1-full business day of notice for a new registration date and time. Previous registrations made when technical difficulties were encountered will be wiped and not apply.
- Pre-Qualifying (“Scrimmage”) or Practice Event Assignments are made and based solely on the timestamp the application was submitted. Registration opens at the time outlined above and every team is automatically assigned to the event they request (in order of preference indicated), based on their timestamps, until the events are full.
- Qualifying Event Assignments are made based, first, on the timestamp of your registration. The second factor considered is keeping multiple teams coached by the same individual together. Finally, we take into account geographical location to try and prevent teams from traveling long distances to attend events (but sometimes, unfortunately, this is unavoidable) so we strongly emphasize the importance of submitting your event application(s) as soon as registration begins.
- If all events that have been indicated as a preference are full, Central Florida Robotics will contact the Primary Coach of a team and offer a different event with openings instead. This event may or may not be in close proximity or the date desired, however, we again emphasize the importance of registering in a timely manner.
Event Drop Policy: It is important for teams to understand that all Tournament Hosts and Event Managers are volunteers and giving many hours of their time to provide them with a fantastic tournament experience that allows all FIRST® LEGO® League Participants to celebrate their accomplishments and enjoy a journey of discovery. For this reason, once a team commits to attend any Pre-Qualifier or Qualifier Event and the assignment has been confirmed by the Program Staff, the team is required to attend the event. Except under extreme circumstances, which must be approved by the Regional Program Staff, teams are required to attend every event to which they are assigned. If the team did not want an assignment, they should not have applied to attend the event. If a team drops or cancels from any event after they have received an official confirmation of assignment, the following policies are in effect:
- The team must find a replacement team to fill their spot; OR
- The team will pay the registration fee for their attendance, even if they are not attending the event.
If the team fails to pay the registration fee or find a replacement team, it will be considered a serious violation of Gracious Professionalism® and the team will be disqualified from advancing beyond a Qualifier Event (to the Regional Championship or beyond). Teams who are unable to make the event must notify the Tournament Director or Event Manager and the Regional Program Staff by contacting JT@CentralFloridaRobotics.org at least two weeks prior to the event.
Event Cancellation Policy: The safety of all program participants is our upmost priority. In the event of inclement weather, or another circumstance that could adversely affect the safety of any participants, Central Florida Robotics, at the discretion of the Event Operations Manager, Operational Partner, Tournament Director, and Venue Staff, may cancel an event. If a cancellation occurs, Coaches and Volunteers will be notified by email and phone based on the contact information listed in the FIRST Dashboard/Volunteer Registration System. Central Florida Robotics will work with the Venue and Tournament Director to reschedule the event, if possible, or will work to make other accommodations for teams as necessary to ensure a globally consistent FIRST program experience.