What is FIRST® Tech Challenge?
FIRST®Tech Challenge is designed for high-school students who want to compete head to head using a sports model. Teams of up to 10 students are responsible for designing, building, and programming their robots to compete on a 12 X 12’ field in an Alliance format against other teams. Robots are built using the TETRIX® or MATRIX® platform and are reusable from year-to-year using the JAVA programming of language. Teams, including Coaches, Mentors, and Volunteers, are required to develop strategy and build robots based on sound engineering principles. Awards are given for the competition as well as community outreach, design, and other real-world accomplishments.
Students get to:
- Design, build, and program robots.
- Apply real-world math and science concepts.
- Develop problem-solving, organizational, and team-building skills.
- Compete and cooperate in alliances at tournaments.
- Earn a place in the World Championship.
- Qualify for over $11 million in college scholarships.