What is first® lego® league?
In FIRST® LEGO® League, children are immersed in real-world science and technology challenges. Teams design their own solution to a current scientific question or problem and build autonomous LEGO robots that perform a series of missions. Through their participation, children develop valuable life skills and discover exciting career possibilities while learning that they can make a positive contribution to society.
Children ages 9 to 16 (9-14 in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico) get to:
- Create innovative solutions for challenges facing today’s scientists as part of their research project.
- Strategize, design, build, program, and test a robot using LEGO® MINDSTORMS® technology.
- Apply real-world math and science concepts.
- Develop employment and life skills including critical thinking, time management, collaboration, and communication while becoming more self confident.
- Become involved in their local and global community.
- Choose to participate in official tournaments and local events.
- Qualify for an invitation to World Festival.
- Engage in team activities guided by the FIRST LEGO League Core Values.