Why Volunteer for FIRST®?
Volunteers make up 99.9% of the FIRST workforce. Last year, over 150,000 volunteers worldwide gave over 10 million hours in over 80 countries – covering a wide range of roles across FIRST's Progression of Programs.
FIRST® LEGO® League JR. Volunteers
Local Expos happen between October and April of each year.
- Closing Ceremony Volunteer (Must be organized and have the ability to stand for long periods)
- Floater Volunteer (Must be able to go-with-the-flow)
- Load Out Volunteer (Must be comfortable in physically active role)
- Team Escort Volunteer (Must be organized and have the ability to stand for long periods)
*All volunteers must be comfortable working with and encouraging young children ages 6-10*
To volunteer for a FIRST LEGO League Jr. event, please contact Joyce Walters.
FIRST® LEGO® League Volunteers
Events occur between November and February each year.
- Core Values, Robot Design and Project Judge (See below)
- Judge Assistant Volunteer (Must be highly organized)
- Load-in/Load-out Volunteer (Must have the ability to stand for long periods and lift)
- Judging Queuer Volunteer (Must be organized and have the ability to stand for long periods)
- Pit Runner Volunteer (Must have the ability to stand for long periods)
- Robot Game Queuer Volunteer (Must be a strong time manager and have the ability to stand for long periods)
- Usher Volunteer (Must have the ability to stand for long periods)
*All volunteers must be comfortable working with and encouraging young children ages 9-14.*
Interested in Judging a FIRST LEGO League Competition? Get in touch via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION AND MATCHING SYSTEm
All volunteers must create a Volunteer Information and Matching System (VIMS) account in order to complete their Youth Protection Program (YPP) screening. The YPP screening is completely free for all FIRST volunteers. Regional events including Qualifying Tournaments and the Regional Championship will appear in VIMS for volunteer opportunities.
- The VIMS User Guide is available in case there are any questions about how to navigate the VIMS systems (coming soon)
- All volunteers need to update their screening status for each season. A guide for how to complete that can be found here.
If you would like to volunteer for an FIRST LEGO League event and do not know where to begin, please contact us at: Contact@CentralFloridaRobotics.org.
Looking for a schedule of events? check out our region calendar.
Volunteer as a Coach or Mentor
There are lots of ways to help FIRST students throughout the state, and sharing professional and technical skills and resources are one of the most valuable contributions teams can receive. Volunteers can help as team mentors, at events as judges, pit support, and with various aspects of event management, or with in-kind services, supplies and materials.
All FIRST volunteers are screened and must registered in the FIRST Volunteer Management system. Click here to learn more about Volunteer Opportunities and our Youth Protection Policy.
Be A Vista
The VISTA program at FIRST strives to match an AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer to local communities to help support developing and sustaining FIRST teams within underserved communities. The FIRST AmeriCorps VISTA mission is to create and expand the vision of FIRST by working in areas that have been deemed underserved: lower socio-economic communities, rural areas, and areas that have little to no support or resources to be able to easily access STEM initiatives. VISTAs work closely with all teams in their area as general support, with a strong focus in underserved populations.
To learn more, visit FIRST Americorps VISTA.