Educators changing students' lives
Bring FIRST® to your school!
From the Kindergarten teacher seeking a way to excite young minds about problem solving to the middle/high school teacher wanting to connect students to a possible future in a STEM career, Central Florida FIRST® LEGO® League and FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. have age-appropriate programs to consider. Take a look at the progression of FIRST programs in the Programs area of this site and be sure to attend upcoming FIRST events in our area to see the programs in action.
To find out if there are any available funding options to teams in central Florida, please visit our Grants Page.
Why FIRST LEGO League is perfect for your school
Impact studies show that students gain an increased interest in science and technology by working with FIRST LEGO League. FIRST LEGO League does this by providing a practical and engaging way of involving students in the subject areas.
AS A CLASSROOM RESOURCE, FIRST LEGO LEAGUE...
- Promotes student engagement
- Allows for differentiation
- Promotes self-directed learning
- Encourages hands-on learning
- Has real-life connections
YOUR STUDENTS WILL DEVELOP AND APPLY THEIR 21ST CENTURY LEARNING SKILLS TO…
- Identify relevant sources of information using a range of resources
- Use language and communication skills
- Understand the scientific method of formulating hypotheses, testing, evaluating and rejecting/confirming hypotheses
- Work as part of a team
YOUR STUDENTS WILL ALSO DEVELOP AND APPLY THEIR STEM SKILLS TO…
- Develop, evaluate, and modify their design ideas
- Learn about the concepts of input, process, and output and the importance of feedback in control systems
- See how complex systems break down into sub-systems
- Apply their existing maths knowledge
- Engage in mathematical discussions of results
EDUCATIONal Standards AND LESSON PLANS
FIRST® LEGO® League Next Generation Science Standards Alignment & Instructional Exemplars:
- Schoology "Course" for FIRST LEGO League
- Use Access Code J5MMV-WZ8D3
This course is divided into eight modules. Each module is designed as a step-by-step guide for what to do with your team that week, including activities and discussions. Many teams meet more than once a week and may be able to spread the content over multiple practices, but a team that can only meet once a week can use each module as a single practice guide.
It will be helpful to review the module prior to each practice but if you need to reference the modules during practice, that's okay too! Printable versions of the modules will also be availble for you to print a hard copy and use as an on-the-fly guide.
- A 5 Week Example Robotics Lesson Plan (Courtesy of High Tech Kids)
For more information on bringing FIRST into the classroom, please Contact Us.